Monday 7 October 2013

Midterm Studying

   So it's Monday night, 8 days before my first midterm and I'm sitting at home studying for the last few hours, after already studying for a few hours Saturday and Sunday. 10 days before a midterm? That's something I would never have done in undergrad. Maybe for a final, but definitely not a midterm. Why the change? Maybe because I have 5 midterms in 4 days, 3 of which are practically in another language! It's definitely going to be an interesting ride next week, but I'm working hard now and have a pretty good study schedule to get myself as prepared as I can (again something I would never have done in undergrad, but with the way things are it seems like a good idea, and I hope it goes well).

   One thing I wanted to mention today though was just how great my class is. Everyone is very supportive and wants to help each other succeed, and it really feels great to be part of this community. We have a gmail account which we share and on the google drive, everyone posts lots of stuff to share and help each other out. We also have access to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years accounts, and there is plenty of useful information, study notes, and even practice exams that really help with studying. All of the information is really great to have, not to mention that my classmates are so diligent at posting on the facebook group if they've added or found anything new and useful for everyone else to download.

   So it's definitely going to be a tough first midterm break, but at least I've got the support and help of a lot of great people to get through it. On that note, I hope anyone else studying for exams out there is doing okay with it. And tip of the day (since I feel like I should probably post something useful for the readers out there): make sure you take some time for yourself. No one can effectively study if they just go straight for hours on end; you won't retain all of it and you won't feel so good either. Take frequent study breaks to get up and walk around, get a snack, and even set goals for yourself and your studying. When you achieve them, reward yourself with a TV show or hanging out with friends. It makes studying much more bearable, and makes it a lot easier to get back to it when you're done.

     It's hard and there's a lot to know, but a good plan helps make this a lot more manageable

No comments:

Post a Comment