Wednesday 23 September 2015

Wednesday, and Some Fantastic News!

Back again for Wednesday's classes. Without further adieu, here they are:

Physical Medicine - This is a pretty cool class, it's taught by Dr. Tebruegge; he teaches functional anatomy in 1st year. As an RMT/ND, he has a lot of experience with more hands on physical medicine stuff, so he's got a great perspective. We learn about stretching (both solo and assisted), strengthening exercises and exercise prescription (my favourite, exercise is the best medicine! except maybe food haha), of course all sorts of useful orthopaedic testing and range of motion stuff, and last but not least, machines! There's lots of really cool machines that can do wonders for muscle pain and strains and all sorts of physical ailments. TENs, ultrasound, laser (which by the way is actually not a word, its an acronym for light amplified stimulated emission radiation, who knew), even UV light. We've got this on Wednesday and Friday mornings, but every few Fridays we'll have a practical to actually practice the tests and movements, so that'll break it up a bit.

Radiology and Advanced Imaging - Not my favourite course, but definitely an important one. This is taught by Dr. Fritz who is a chiropractor, so he has a lot more experience with this stuff. We're going through x-rays and will also look at things like MRI and ultrasound, which are of course important diagnostic tools for many conditions. It's going to be good to have a decent understanding of how these work, even though we'll always get reports from radiologists or other technicians when we get them, so I understand why we have it.

Common Time - Wednesday's common time is a little shorter than Monday, only an hour as opposed to two; by the way if I didn't mention, common time is a period where all four years and the IMGs have no class, so different talks and events can go on during the day that everyone can attend, or people can just hang out together. I had a meeting today for class rep training, it's great that so many people want to get involved in the school (especially the first years, awesome on them!).

Botanical Medicine 3 - This is a full year course in botanical medicine, as we've already got a bunch of basics, we're just diving deeper (class of 2019 reference!) into the medicine, and looking at more conditions and doing more intense cases. It's a bit of a tough class to get through, not my favourite, but there is a lot of awesome stuff you can do with botanical medicine, so it's definitely going to be useful.

Now for the good news.........




I passed NPLEX1!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a pretty stressful week since we heard the letters were sent out last week, and since Monday I've been hearing results from friends (some good and some bad). I got home today and my dad was out and hadn't checked the mail yet, so I went to the mailbox, and the second I looked in the box I knew it was there. I walked back home with the letter and the rest of the mail, and didn't even walk in, I went to the backyard to my garden. I knew that I needed to be somewhere calm so that regardless of the news, I could feel kind of okay. I took a seat next to my favourite plant - the cherry tomato plant of course - took a couple deep breaths, and then opened it. I figured the letter would be folded up and I'd have to open it, so I started pulling the piece of paper out...and was greeted by three large Ps! The wave of relief that came over me was fantastic, and I followed with a nice little meditation in front of my garden, thanking myself for the hard work I did in the summer, and so damn glad that I don't have to write the exam again.

Anyway that's all for tonight, maybe I'll go to bed early for once......
Edit - forgot to add a silly cartoon for the day (oh and it's 11:30 and I still haven't started getting ready for bed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment