Thursday 26 September 2013

Mindfulness

    Health psychology was a really great class today, talking a lot about empathy and how to effectively communicate with patients, and people in general to ensure that they feel heard and that what they say matters. Before the full lecture though, we talked again about mindfulness and being in the present moment. To solidify this talk, Dr. Creech took us through a guided meditation in class, and then gave us a break to go outside and enjoy the sun. The whole experience has given me more understanding of how important mindfulness really is. We spend so much of our day thinking about the past and the future (even as I write this I'm worrying about work I have to do later tonight), and yet the present has so much importance. Past and future are important, but it is really the present where we actually exist. A smart guy once said, "life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop to look around once in a while, you might miss something."

   Through our discussions about mindfulness, I've also come to realize how important it is when it comes to speaking with patients, and also with our friends and families, really anyone we speak to. Think about the last time you spoke with someone, anyone. Were you completely in the present moment while you listened to them, or did your mind drift off at times onto things what happened that morning or what you need to do later that day or even right after you finish talking? It can be very difficult to stay present because our minds have so much information, how could they not wander? However, exercises like meditation and practicing mindfulness have the ability to get you focused on what is happening right now, and with practice comes to ability to remain present when you need to. This is something I plan to work on myself as I go through the program at CCNM, because my hope is that when I am in the room with patients in the future, I can forget about everything else in my life at the time, be mindful and present, and provide the patient with what they need. Hopefully this will also transfer to my social life as well, because though patients are obviously important, the important people in my life deserve the same attention as well.

    For those of you who would like to work on their own mindfulness, I suggest trying a short guided meditation such as this one. It is important with meditation to be in a quiet room where you can be comfortable, get in a comfortable position and close your eyes. Focus on breathing in through your nose and out through the nose because this engages the parasympathetic nervous system which will help you remain relaxed. Just focus on breathing in slowly, taking a pause, and then breathing out slowly, and repeat. As you focus on your breath and the sensations of your body, past and future dissipate from your mind, and the practice of mindfulness really begins. It is difficult and takes a lot of practice (I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be yet), but the benefits are well worth it.

(if animals really are like this, it must be nice to be so present with little worries)

No comments:

Post a Comment